Monday 3 September 2012

Manchester Pride 2012 (4)

August 21st Tuesday

After breakfast in the Retro. Diana and myself went shopping. Diana said she wanted a new pair of jeans. She told me about her problems with buying jeans. Over the years I've noticed she has a problem finding anything she likes when out with me. I know I buy more clothes when on my own. I think sometimes when you are by yourself it is easier. I love going out shopping with my friends and I've had some wonderful shopping trips with girlfriends. Shopping with friends is usually the highlight of any time out for me. With Diana I had a plan to make this shopping trip slightly more interesting for her. 

As we passed the carpark we saw the main stage was starting to take shape.
We first took care of something Di needed to sort out. I then took her to Frasers department store. We had a look at some shoes and jeans. I said to Di she could find some jeans or lovely trousers here, but we were going to have a champagne cocktail. She looked at me a bit dubiously, but I had wanted to have a drink at the cocktail bar and to have a cocktail with Di I thought would be lovely. She has been a good friend who has always helped me and this was just a small thank you.

 
                                       Two pictures of  Diana and myself  at the cocktail bar

Afterwards we continued shopping and Diana ended up buying a beautiful outfit that she wore when we went to see a show in Polari that evening.
The show was by VADA LGBTQ Community Theatre Company, it was called 'Two Minute Queers'. The show was billed as a series of 2 minute plays about being LGBTQ in austerity Britain. They ranged from serious to very funny. For me the highlights were The Tantric Tarot sketches. The whole show was great. Di and myself were the only 2 from the Trans community there, and to be honest there wasn't much really about the T part of LGBTQ.
   
We did meet a couple of the cast and had a chat with them.
Diana had to go home at the end of the night, but she would be back on Friday when Pride really got started.

August 22 Wednesday

I decided to take a trip to Birmingham. The wig salon in Frasers would be my main reason for going. I guess that is the nearest I'll get to having my hair done.


I noticed The Womens stage was in the process of being built in Sackville Gardens.
.
I got the train to Birmingham which wasn't to busy.


In Birmingham I  saw what was like a mini wicker man dedicated to the London Olympics.
Rain clouds were gathering. I went to Frasers and got what I needed. I found a nice pair of jeans in Jane Norman.
Since I'd been out I'd had no access to the internet and no television. To be honest I wasn't bothered. I had seen very little news. I was in my own bubble. I did find a internet cafe and put a post on Facebook, to say how much I was enjoying myself.
  I stayed a couple of hours in Birmingham. It was very busy and I decided to get back to Manchester as it looked like it was about to rain.



On the journey back I got a strange photo of a plane.


Back in The Village I was starting to be recognised, I had been there a week. I had one interesting encounter when a shopkeeper asked me if I just finished work. The expression on my face must have said it all. He was a nice bloke I had chatted with a few times. I thought oh no not again.
He got a bit of a panicked look and said "Sorry I didn't mean...." He seemed genuine and I replied that I was on holiday and down for Pride.  He looked very relieved and said that I looked like I worked in an office. I guess I was dressed the part. I think it was a misunderstanding on my part. I don't pass, but it was nice to be treated as another female customer.
That evening I met up with Kate for a light meal in Taurus. We ended up dancing in Naps till about 2am.

August 23rd Thursday.

I was on my own again and decided to visit The Lesbian and Gay Foundation on Richmond Street to see if I could talk to someone about something that has bothered me for years. The LGF from what I understand deals with sexuality not identity which is why there is not a T in it's name. There are organisations that deal with Transgender identity problems.
I met with a female counsellor.and explained  about myself. We talked for about an hour and she was very helpful. I feel I am Bi. When out presenting as female I find myself attracted to some men. I used to react not very well to some admirers, but these days if they don't treat me as a piece of meat, I'm ok with them and enjoy chatting. Would I go further ? I really don't know. My sex drive seems to come back when I'm out. I haven't had sex for years. I have health problems that  affect my drive, but it's not completely gone. Still got a lot of questions about my self. Perhaps I'll never find the answers, but it did help to talk to someone.

After the LGF I went to Selfridges to get some advice on my make up at the MAC and Bobby Brown concessions. I came away with some samples to try and bought some great remover from Bobby Brown and a fantastic BB cream. In Debanhams I bought something that helps with my body shape. They were actually bum booster knicks. I went back to Taurus and changed into them. They were so good, I thought, that I went back to buy 2 more pairs.
In Piccadilly Gardens I stopped to listen to 2 excellent musicians.


I then went to Afflecks Market to see my friend who runs The Crystalhenge stall. When in Manchester I buy a few crystals and it's great to talk to Terry who runs Crystalhenge. I am a Wiccan and interested in Tarot and other esoteric things. I have my beliefs anf I don't expect others to understand. I try to live by the Wiccan Rede which says 'Do what ye will, an harm it none'. Basically I am responsible for whatever I do and must try to  do as little harm as possible.
Terry kindly agreed to take a picture of me at his stall.
I did buy a lovely heart shaped necklace that I wore that night.

That evening I went  to Taurus after getting changed to watch 'Gay It's a Knockout'
At Taurus the Gay Gordons Scottish Country Dance Group were in full flow dancing outside Taurus.

Then the fun started with Gay It's a Knockout. First up was the high heeled egg and spoon race.


There was quite a crowd outside Taurus. I bumped into Karen Richards and there was another Tgirl in the crowd.
After watching for awhile I left and decided to find somewhere quieter for a sit down and drink.
The other Tgirl left as well and caught up with me. I  said hello  and she told me her name was Gabriela and she was from Portugal. Karen had disappeared so I  asked Gabriela if she wanted a drink. She said to  call her Gabi as that might be easier.
I took her to Via and and couple of other places. In Icon we met an older Gay couple who were looking at the old pictures of Canal Street. They told me about a Gay club in the Northern Quarter in the 80's which sounded like the first place I ventured out to over 20 years ago. It was called Rockies.
We went to the New Union where we met a young woman and a young Gay couple who gave us some funny advice on bigger boobs. The night came to an end.  Gabi and myself discovered we were staying in the same hotel. We exchanged phone numbers and agreed to meet in the morning to get our wristbands that would give us access to The Village when it was blocked off for Pride.

                                               Gabi and myself in The New Union




 ia

No comments: