Tuesday 15 December 2009

This Years Final Trip Out

My final time out this year was a wonderful time for me. A Christmas meal with wonderful friends. A trip to the theatre. Travelling city to city again Quite a bit of dancing and meeting some interesting people some who didn't even blink twice when  speaking to me.

Wednesday Christmas Meal (The Village Manchester)

Kate and Mrs K had organised the Northern Angels Christmas Meal and what a great event it was.
I had got to my hotel room in the afternoon. My friend Diana was arriving a bit later staying in the hotel just down the road.
I had plenty time to get ready, but ran into what good be described as a bad hair moment. It ended up Diana was ready before me and when she called I was probably in a bit of a panic. She came round and calmed me down and I got my act together and finished getting ready.
We went off down to Velvet where we were having the meal. We met up with everyone it was fantastic to see Kate, Mrs K , Kay Denise, Amanda, again and meet Cathy and Mrs C and there was another couple who's names escape me. I sorry to say I'm terrible at remembering names. I really enjoyed the meal and the wonderful company. For me this was Christmas.
One downer was two students not from Manchester I might add came right up to me when I was out having a smoke and said, 'Look there's another one, I told you we would see another one'. I just shook my head with a disgusted look and said 'F@%k off.. They soon took off. Lucky for them I'm quite easy going, but one of these days if they keep that up they might get more that they bargained for.
After the meal we went to Naps for some dancing to round a wonderful evening off. Diana was struggling a bit with bruised ribs she had suffered a few days before.
About 2am I left with Kate and Mrs K.

Thursday (First Trip to the Theatre)

Thursday morning Diana and myself went shopping in Manchester and we went to the Palace Theatre to get tickets for the Rocky Horror Show. Now I must admit I was a bit dubious about going.My first wife loved the music and the film so we rented it one night. The music was ok, but the film made me feel a bit uneasy. It just seemed full of every cliche going and stereotype. A Few months later I  came out to her and it didn't go well. we ended up divorcing, but in the end it wasn't me being transgender that ended it. It would have ended eventually. There is no point going into details, but it ended amicably.
After getting changed and a early meal in Taurus we made our way to the Palace Theatre. Now I would say we were quite well dressed. I was actually wearing a nice dress for a second night in a row. Unusual for me. Most of the time I wear jeans and a top, but it is nice to get dressed up.
When we got to the theatre it got a bit surreal. A lot of women dressed as french maids and men dressed in basques and stockings. When we got inside I think we confused a few people. A mother and daughter sitting in front of us started chatting to us and started to compliment us on our costume and realised we weren't dressed up for the show, but we were real so to speak. I think they were a bit embarrassed, but it was ok if not a bit funny. The lady selling the ice cream also complimented us saying how well dressed we were. I think we confused a few people. I quite enjoyed the show and in a strange sort of way I got a monkey of my back.

Friday  (Leeds)

Diana agreed to go through to Leeds with me to check out the scene and do some shopping. I am sorry to say I forgot about Diana's ribs. I think she was still in quite a bit of pain and walking her round Leeds was probably not a good idea and the seats on the train are not the most comfortable and the trains both ways were very busy.

The main pedestrian shopping centre is on Briggate and further down is the gay quarter which seems to be a safe area. We went in one bar the Viaduct which apparently is quite popular with lesbians. We did say hello to a group who came in. They were fine if not a bit loud. The barman gave us an overview of the area and the bars and clubs as relates to us. It seems like it might be a good night out.
It came time to get back to Manchester. The train was even busier. A bit like the tube at rush hour in London.
We got back ok and went to Eden for something to eat. Diana was going to head off home afterwards.
I'd had a great day out, but I did feel a bit bad for Di she seemed to be in a bit of pain.
Diana if you read this thank you for your help and support. You have helped more than you know. .
After Di left for home. I dropped my shopping off in the hotel room and decided to go for a couple of drinks before having an early night. It had been an intense three days. I ended up in Naps about 10pm where I met three women on a works night out. I got talking to them after an admirer kept at me and couldn't understand that I wasn't interested.
One asked if I was ok. I told them I was and it was a pain when these admirers couldn't take no for an answer and that I wasn't interested in men. They seemed surprised by this and asked if I just liked dressing up. I said yes, but its a bit more complicated than that. We got chatting and they asked me about the Village, also asked if I got a lot of problems with some men.I told them it only becomes a problem if they start grabbing you and then I stop being polite. They asked me if I would like to come with them, unfortunately I had to decline. it had been a long day and I was quite tired so I said goodnight and went back to the hotel.

Saturday  (A Wonderful Meal )    ,

I'd had a good sleep and after I got ready it was into the city center to do some shopping. First I had to get some breakfast, I went to Subway for a bacon sub and coffee. Now I was ready. L did my usual wandering round loads of shops seeing if anything caught my eye. I bought a top and another pair of jeans from New Look. In Dorothy Perkins a dress caught my eye, but I decided to think about it so i went for a coffee. I also texted Kate to find out what her and Mrs K's plans were for the evening.
Sitting in a cafe in the Arndale Centre watching people going by out shopping. I felt very relaxed, no stress all my worries had melted away. When I'm out I get these moments and I find it a beautiful time where everything is just right.
I got a text from Kate and then rang her. Kate suggested I come out to their home and we could have something to eat and then head of into the Village later on. I had been out to their home before and I was honoured to be invited back.
I said I would get the train in about an hour and then Kate would pick me up from the station.
I decided to buy the dress, see picture.

I was really pleased with it and wore it out that night in the Village.
I headed to the train station very happy with the my day shopping and caught the train.
Kate met me at the station and we drove to her house. Mrs K turned up a little later.
Kate cooked a lovely Chinese meal which we had with a really good home made wine. Sitting with Kate and Mrs K having a beautiful meal, chatting about various things I felt amazing.Two of my best friends who have really helped me come through a very frightening time. Kate was actually one of the first girls I met when I started going out in Manchester. I think we have all come a long way. I probably would never have got on a train if it wasn't for Kate's help and that opened up a whole new world for me. They are a wonderful couple who I can't thank enough.
They also gave me a Christmas present, which I won't open till Christmas and a card, Karen's first, which I will treasure.
The 2 Kate's got ready to go out to the Village. They dropped me off at my hotel so I could redo my make up and get changed.
Back at the hotel I got ready as quick as I could and wore my new dress. I felt like a million dollars.
We met up in Naps where we danced a lot. A wonderful night came to a close just after 3am.
We hugged and wished each other a Happy Christmas and New Year.I felt a bit sad, but hopefully I'll see them again early next year.

Sunday ( York )

I had a lie in and got up about 10am and then went to the train station about midday. I was torn between going to York or Sheffield. I decided on York as I had always wanted a look around.
Problems with the trains meant it would be about 45 minutes late.
On the platform in Piccadilly a very well dressed Irish lady asked me if I had a light for her cigarette.
I said I did but, it was illegal to smoke on the platform even though it's open. She seemed very annoyed but thanked me. About 15 minutes later she came back and told me she had spoken to one of the platform staff and managed to get a smoke. She asked me where I was off to and we had a chat. She wasn't in the least phased even with my voice. Her train came and she wished me a good day out.
My train eventually turned up. The journey was uneventful and I had bought a magazine to pass the time.
In York I had a wander round the Museum Gardens York Minster and the city centre which was packed.

It really was busy which was a shame. I think next time I'll go midweek when it's hopefully quieter. I did buy Sarah Mclachlan's Storytellers DVD.
The train back to Manchester was packed, but thankfully I got a seat after Leeds.
Back in Manchester I went for a meal in Villagios everywhere else was busy. A couple of drinks in Taurus an interesting chat which a very frightening looking bloke outside Via who told me to make sure I looked after myself because he thought I was a kind person .
I went back to the hotel. Another wonderful 5 days over. It had been a wonderful time, but as they say all good things come to an end.
It's been a strange year. Some amazing highs and very frightening lows. I've been in contact with some wonderful people, My friends have helped me see life is there to be lived and I try to the best I can.
To everyone who reads this blog, sorry I had to do another monster post.
Have a Happy Christmas and New Year 
Karen xxx

9 comments:

Kay Denise. said...

That was a nice five days you had in the area and happy you enjoyed yourself being the person you wish to be. If only had known you were here for that length of time, I could of met you somewhere but hey ho one of those things.(no one ever ask's "if & could" you know :-( ) Regardless, just a little envious of you but never the less pleased for you. xxxxxx

Emma Walkey said...

Karen,

marvelous, enthralled at your happy recollections of what must have been a wonderful finale to this year's adventures, trials and tribulations.

So sorry I was unable to join you but logistics proved impossible. But next time - who knows. Perhaps you would care to join me in Cambridge one day in the New Year.

All the best for Christmas and look forward to continuing our friendship in the New Year

Emma xx

Jane Maybe said...

Karen

you have been a busy girl.Such a Nice Entry to read and you have great friends.
Now lay off the trains you will get a reputation like me !
Have a good New Year Hun
Jane
x

Diana Richards said...

Hi Karen - you certainly managed to pack a lot in to your trip - don't know how you do it !
I always enjoy your company and look forward to next time.
love
Di
x

Karen said...

Hi
Thanks for your lovely comments. It was a wonderful time and I do try to make the most of it. It was great to see you again KD hopefully see you again next year.
Emma I am unsure about Cambridge, but you never know.Hopefully see you soon in the New year.
Jane it was a shame you weren't out at some point it would have been nice to see you. I don't seem to be able to keep away from those trains.
Thanks Diana, it alwayys a pleasure to be in your company. Sorry for dragging you round Leeds when you were in pain.
Enjoy the holidays and hopefully next year will be a really good one for us all.
Love
Karen xx

Debbie K said...

Hi Karen
I am so pleased you had a wonderful time.
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas
Good health and happiness.
May all your dreams come true in 2010.
Debbie x

Karen said...

Thanks Debbie, and the same for you.
It's great to hear from you again. Thank you for your support.
I hope you can live to the full what was a dream, but is now reality and 2010 is a wonderful year for you.
Go for it girl.
Karen

Calie said...

Hi Karen. Sorry I am late reading this.

It sounds like an awesome. The dress, and you, are beautiful. Sorry about the admirers!

Calie xxx

Karen said...

Thanks Calie, you are more than kind.
I don't really wear a dress that often, but it is nice to get dressed up now and again.
The admirers well they must be desperate trying it on with me or had to much to drink. It's more an annoyance really, when they don't take no for an answer.