Saturday 5 December 2009

On My Travels Again. Manchester to Birmingham

I spent another wonderful two days out and managed to see another new place.
I stayed in the Village in Manchester. It's becoming a bit of a second home. Being a Wednesday and Concord night there were quite a few girls out. I met 2 friends I hadn't seen for a long time Jane and Kay Denise. It really was lovely to see them both and have a quick chat. Jane from her blog I know is having a few challenges which I really hope she can overcome.She really is a lovely lady. KD was one of the first girls I met
when I first went to the Village. She gave me some invaluable advice which I've never forgotten. It's always a pleasure to see her.
Kate and myself had a meal in Taurus where we also met up with Diana,  Mandy and Tina. I hadn't seen any of the 3 of them for at least a couple of months. It was fantastic to catch up. I am really lucky to have such wonderful friends and it's always a joy to see them.
Kate and myself were planning a day out in Birmingham the next day, so we didn't stay out to long. I think I went back to the hotel about 1am.
I couldn't get the train to Birmingham until 10 07am otherwise it would be double the fare. I would be meeting Kate in the early afternoon. These train journeys are becoming just natural now when I am out.I am quite happy to take the train, but in saying that I know I've got to be sensible and not put myself in a vulnerable position. I have to think as much like a woman out on her own as much as I can. I know I get read, but I'm not going to wander round looking scared. My voice really gives me away, but if someone speaks to me, I try to speak in a softer tone, but with confidence,
The train journey, uneventful took about an hour and a half. A lady with her daughter thought I was sitting in her seat. When she asked me I replied that these seats were not reserved. She did stop for a moment and then asked her daughter if they were in the right coach. It turned out they were in the wrong one. She apologised and then sat down next to me and told her daughter to sit in a seat across the aisle. I said to her not to worry, these electronic displays can be a nightmare. She agreed and then told her daughter off for not reading it right. I don't seem to frighten people off. There were other seats they could have sat in.
When the train arrived I had a bit of time before I was due to meet Kate so I went off for a wander, I don't know Birmingham. I had been there before but only briefly and that had been a long time ago. Going round the shops everybody was really nice and I really got a good impression, I had to smile when I was called 'duck'. In the midlands its a common expression and I must admit it always makes me smile. I did buy a nice little black dress in Monsoon. I really do love that shop , but it is expensive, but sometimes you've just got to.
It came time to meet Kate so I headed back to New St.
When I met Kate we decided to get something to eat. She knew of a place in the Pallisades which was basically a greasy spoon. After an all day breakfast each we were ready to have a trip round the shops. Kate knows Birmingham quite well, but this was her first time out in Birmingham presenting as female. We got pictures with the big bull at the Bull Ring. We went up through the Christmas Market which was really big, far bigger than Manchester. There was just a lovely atmosphere about the whole place. We both bought some jewellery from a little shop Kate knew.
It came time for us to head back to the station. We managed to miss 2 trains. One because it actually left early. The other was my fault because I suggested we go for a coffee and then forgot the time.
Eventually we got a train back to Manchester and arrived just after 8pm. We got a bite to eat in Taurus and had a good chat about the day.I'd had a wonderful dayl and I hope Kate had enjoyed herself as well.
Birmingham is a city I would definitely like to visit again. Kate had to take another short journey home on the trrain so I asked her to text me when she got there because time was getting on and I was concenrned that she'd be ok. She did get home ok which was a relief.
I'd had another wonderful time out and it was fantastic seeing so many friends which was unexpected.
Thank you Kate for showing me round Birmingham.
Karen
xxx

Just had to add this photo of me with the bull.

4 comments:

chrissie said...

Having fun, eh?

And nice pic, Karen..!!

I shall save that one.


hugs
chrissie
xxxxxxxxxx

Denver Refashionista said...

I love the picture. You are very pretty.

Karen said...

Thanks.You are both more than kind,
I glad you like the photo, It really was a wonderful day out.
x

Kay Denise. said...

Thank you for your kind comments but you know it works both ways. Always nice to see & chat to you, it is just a shame it is not abit more often. You take care & see you in the not too distant future. xxxx