Friday 16 March 2012

Stranger Times (Part Four)

Tuesday

Everyone had gone home and on the Monday with Diana's help I had moved hotels to The New Union in The Village. Usually when I extend my stay from 5 to 8 nights on the Tuesday I am on my own and it also seems to be the quietest night in The Village.This time Kristina would be coming out for a night at the cinema.
In the morning I went into the Arndale looking for another dress for Wednesday night. I didn't find one but found a nice red top and some t-shirts. I also bought 400 artificial nails which I have a few ideas for.
I didn't have breakfast so just after midday I headed back to The Village.
I went to the Olive Deli for a tuna panni and coffee. It was nice sitting there reading a book I had bought. I felt so relaxed and happy. I'd had a fantastic time out so far. The weather was lovely. I hadn't seen the news for awhile and I didn't know what was going on in the world and at that point in time I didn't really care to know.
I went for a drink in Taurus and Paddy's Goose and then about 2pm I went back to the hotel to get changed for the evening. Kristina was due in The Village about 4pm and would use my room to get changed.
When Kristina arrived I went down to the bar to give her some privacy. The bar in the New Union attracts a variety of colourful characters. There were 2 groups of lads a bit drunk singing to each other 'you're getting married in the morning'. Two of the lads weren't singing but smiling in among them. I realised this was 2 gay stag parties that had met up. It did cross my mind and I wondered if it was unlucky for the groom to see the groom the night before. I really thought it was wonderful and I hope their partnership is sucessful.  I've touched on gay marriage in the last post.
Standing beside me at the bar was a man wearing a kilt. I couldn't resist asking him if he from Scotland. He replied in the affirmative and proceeded to tell me how he didn't like Scotland as it was so backward where the gay community was concerned. I couldn't really disagree with him. Gay bars in my limited exprience in the major cities of Scotland aren't very obvious. The rainbow flag is rarely seen. It's very hard to tell if you are in at least a LGBT friendly bar.
He also told me about some of the bars and men  in The Village annoyed him. He went on about blokes who spent hours in the gym to develop toned and muscular bodies and then when you spoke to them they had really effeminate voices. He told me about one guy who he fancied, who was a body builder, but when he spoke, he told him his mother had a deeper voice than him. He said to me that I was doing a good job of trying to present as the person I wanted to be and he respected that. He said he could not stand men spending so much time and effort to look as masculine as possible, but then ruin it . He liked his men to be men.
It was an interesting conversation and gave me another insight.
I decided to check on Kristina. I thought she shouldn't be far of ready.
She was ready and we went for a  bite to eat at Taurus.
After our meal we walked to the AMC cinema, I think it's called at Deansgate, I think. When we got there I asked Kristina what type of films she liked. Looking at the films on show I suggested The Exotic Marigold Hotel'. There was a slight problem we had just over an hour before it started, so we decided to walk over to The Printworks to see what was on there. Nothing seemed to be working at The Printworks so we went back to the AMC. I was actually enjoying the walk it was a lovely evening.
  
Kristina in The Village before we set off on our cinema trek


By the AMC cinema

At the AMC we got tickets for the Exotic Marigold Hotel and had a coffee before we saw the film.







I really enjoyed the film. It was funny a bit sad, but ultimately uplifting. I think Kristina enjoyed it as well.
Leaving the cinema we walked back to The Village and made it back in time for Kristina to get her case from my room and catch her train.
I had one day left and that would ultimately end up testing me and bringing some fears to life. I would also find a beautiful dress that has become my favourite, but wearing it attracted way to much attention for me. I'll leave that for a final post.

No comments: