Monday 5 December 2011

11/11 (Pt 3 Early Christmas)

Friday

Diana and myself had arranged to meet Kristina who was travelling from her home town on the train into Manchester. First time I had met her she had her car impounded which must have been very scary, but I remember Diana came to the rescue and got her home
The 3 of us met up in the Richmond Tea Rooms in The Village for breakfast. The Tea Rooms are like going back in time to the first half of the last century. It's a long time since I've seen and used a teapot and strainer.
After breakfast we went shopping and out towards the Christmas Market outside the City Hall which is always worth a visit. I did buy some Christmas cards that support the MS Society which I have an interest in, but thankfully never really needed their help and hopefully never will.
While out Kristina took Diana and myself to the Exchange Theater for a coffee. Inside it looks like a bigger version of the lunar module has landed in the middle. A lovely place to take a break from shopping.


   In the Exchange Theater

After a coffee and cake we made our way to the Christmas Market to meet Kate and Kitty at the Singing Moose as we did last year.

We had a mug of gluhwein to warm us up. We went into the Town Hall for a wander where I bought my Christmas cards supporting MS.  
Diana, Kristina and myself ended up walking down King St for more gluwein and we saw a Jamaican steel band from Stockport who were very good.


It came time for Diana and myself to get back to The Village for something to eat and a change for a night out.
After saying farewell to Kate, Kitty and Kristina who Diana told that I was witch. I must admit I was a bit dubious about that. Not every Wiccan is a witch. For me I try to connect to the energy all around us and that for me is the real magick around us that can be used for better or worse. Most people don't see cities as magical places, but I do, and they have their hotspots. The Village is one. I don't try to cast spells, but like any religion Wicca has it's rituals and I have mine. There are no sacred texts we follow. We are responsible for our actions and on a continual learning curve. The Craft for me is about respecting our home 'Mother Earth', the living beings who she gives life to and being the best person I can. If that makes me a witch I am happy to be one. 
The holidays are a strange time for me and these days for me. Christmas can be a beautiful festival in the Christian calander. For me it is about Yule, The Winter Solstice and the longest night. Within 3 nights and days the days begin to get longer which marks the return of the Sun.   
I guess thats enough about religion. Saturday would see me doing something I rarely do, wear a dress and I would see a handbag I spend to much money on and even give a name.    

No comments: