Saturday 23 August 2008

Learning Curve - Becoming a Streetwise Woman

I'm back from Manchester and really enjoyed myself, but there were a couple of things that put a damper on it.
First off I'm going to recount what happened at the end of the night.
I had met up with Diana,Kate and Sandi. It ended up with Diana and myself in Naps till just after 3am.
Diana was staying at the Rem not far down the street. I had a bit further to go.
When I left and got on to Canal St I was heading towards Princess St there was nobody about.
I decided to quicken my pace. I was wearing low heels, but I'm still not used to wearing them, but I was going at a reasonable pace. At the bottom of Canal St I heard someone shouting. Some bloke was shouting at me.
'You fucking ugly bitch, fucking tranny I'm going to kill you', were a couple of things I caught. This idiot was not far from me when I got on to Princess St.
Waiting for a break in the traffic I stood and kept an eye on him. I didn't react just watched waiting if he was coming for me I was ready. I got a break in the traffic and crossed calmly keeping an eye on him. He went off up Canal St still shouting.
I recounted this on a tg forum and the replies got me thinking.
If I'm out presenting as female, I've really got to think as a female. If my wife had ever done something similar I wouldn't have been happy. In the end dressed I'm more of a target so really I have to be a streetwise girl or maybe more, streetwise tranny.
In the end it means stepping out with confidence, but being sensible and not wandering round looking like a victim or scared, which I don't do as bob, but perhaps getting a taxi where I wouldn't bother as bob, but should have as Karen.
It's a lesson thankfully not a painful one, but a valuable one.
I'm on a learning curve, that rammed it home. It hasn't put me of going out. Far from it. I was happy I didn't panic and coped.
One other thing I did was filled in th GMP hate crime form online anom. At least they can use it for monitoring purposes if nothing else, but everyone who suffers a hate crime, which that was, has to report it in some shape or form so at least there is a record of these things happening.
I'll leave in there for now.

2 comments:

Diana Richards said...

Sorry it had to happen to you Karen, but you handled it well. Diana x

Karen said...

Thanks Diana,but really I've been in worse situations and nothing really bad happened.
I just have to remember I'm not in bob mode when out and adapt.
xx