Tuesday 17 July 2012

Sparkle 2012 (Friday)

Sparkle The National Transgender Celebration, I was not sure I was going to make it to Manchester for this one with all the things going on in my life at the moment. I did make it and was so glad because I had a wonderful time.
This was my third Sparkle and the best one yet, for me at least. I felt the atmosphere was very relaxed and friendly. There seemed to be more non trans people at this one than at the other two I've attended and that was great to see. I hope this is a sign that society is beginning to see that we are people who want to express ourselves and contribute to the wider whole in a positive way.
I saw and heard quite a few things about Transphobia over the weekend. When people target a group to discriminate, hurt and sometimes ultimately kill a person for who they are. It makes me wonder if they ever question or look deep within themselves as to  why they have these feelings. I must admit from a young age knowing I was transgender frightened me. Other peoples attitudes and how people may view and treat me scares the life out of me to this day.
Sparkle is a weekend where I can put that all aside for a short time, be with friends, meet new people and effectively allow my female aspect full reign.
I got into Manchester about Midday and went to Taurus where they let me use their changing facility. I would be staying with Diana at The Atrium Apartments. Diana would not get into Manchester till about 3 30pm. I must give a big thanks to Diana for letting me stay with her.
After I got changed I met up with Kate and Kitty for a drink. I was back with friends as what I feel is my true self.
A hectic and wonderful weekend had begun.
I met up with Diana to get the apartment. We then went to Taurus. The evening got very busy and the day caught up with me and I had to get some sleep, so just before midnight I left my friends to go to bed. I felt a very happy and contented woman, or as near as I can get to feeling that way.


Looking very rough and tired

  

No comments: