Friday 3 December 2010

Near Perfect Day

Friday
The first 2 days just seemed to disappear (see last post).
The plan for the day was Diana and myself would meet up with Kate and Kitty at the Christmas market near the town hall. We decided to go into the Arndale first where Diana got a picture of me with a giant Freddie Mercury advertising the stage show 'We Will Rock You'.
Diana managed to get herself a really nice pair of boots while we were in The Arndale. I also got my nails done again.
It came to time that we made our way to the Christmas Market to meet Kate and Kitty.Kate had given us a cryptic clue that they would be near the singing moose.
We made our way to the market. At a crossing we saw Kate waiting to cross on the other side. The funny thing was when it came to cross Kate passed right by us and never noticed. We  had to stop her. She was going to an ATM, so we continued on looking for Kitty and the singing moose. We eventually found her and had a cup of gluhwein and then another one when Kate arrived. A cold November day, but for me standing in the Christmas Market with my friends sipping ghulwein and a singing moose head it really did feel like Christmas.


We decided to go into the city hall to escape the cold where there was a jewellery exhibition mainly works by local artists. There were some nice pieces and some unusual ones. I also noticed a plaque dedicated to those volunteers who joined The International Brigades and fought against fascism during The Spanish Civil War. In my time I have met a couple of veterans of that conflict who have long since passed on. I always think of it as a forgotten conflict which was a prelude to the world wide fight for freedom, World War Two.

Below is a link


Diana and myself had to get back to the Village to get changed and go for something to eat as we were going to see The Nutcracker ballet at The Palace Theater.
When Diana suggested going I was very keen. I had never been to see a ballet before. I remember as a kid my sister loved her dance classes which ballet was a big part off. I wasn't jealous of her, I just wished I could at the time do what she did. That wasn't to be I had to do boy things. I wasn't that good at most sports except I seemed  better at basketball and tennis than my class mates. That didn't help much as football or rugby were what counted.
We got to the Palace Theater and it looked like there would be a full house. I must admit to feeling excited. It was nice to be able to sit and have a drink before the start. It came time to take our seats. The whole performance was spellbinding and absolutely beautiful. It felt even more like Christmas watching the story unfold in music, movement and dance.
Below is a link to an overview of the Nutcracker.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nutcracker
All to soon it was over. I think Diana enjoyed it as much as I did. The work that must go into a production I cam only guess at. A beautiful Christmas story that transports you to a place with no computers, hi tech special effects etc. Instead the imagination is stimulated and you see and feel the beauty of life in one of its highest forms.
Diana suggested once we left the theater getting a picture of me outside the theater. She understands how important memories of my times out and anything that helps with those are to me.


We finished of the evening by going to Naps where we got talking to a woman who was out with her friends for what sounded like a birthday pub crawl. We got the usual questions. Why? Are you gay? Have you or are you going to change sex? Then, are you married? I don't mind answering questions as long as people are not nasty or rude. We finished of the night with a bit of dancing.
Nothing can ever be perfect, but I'd had a near perfect day with 3 of my best friends.
If you read this. Thank you Diana, Kate and Kitty.
Christmas came early. 
   


No comments: